A Pathway to Economic Recovery for Every Californian
Advancing the skills needed to rebuild our state's economy
California leaders face an urgent need to address the COVID-19 pandemic and build a resilient and inclusive state economy. Policymakers must prioritize equitable postsecondary and workforce opportunities and outcomes to ensure our state’s regional economies and communities can weather this crisis, recover quickly, and withstand future threats. California Competes recommends immediate action to achieve three critical goals:
- Drive inclusive economic recovery and future resiliency by strengthening the education-to-employment pipeline.
- Leverage employment disruption to make college a reality for adults by offering clear pathways to and through higher education.
- Advance programs and services that deliver equitable results through the swift design and launch of the Cradle-to-Career Data System.
Beyond our three primary policy priorities, California Competes enables strategic decision-making for our leaders.
The scope of our work extends beyond our policy priorities to ensure leaders have access to the information needed to support a robust higher education and workforce ecosystem where more people of color and underrepresented students earn meaningful credentials and whose talents match the demands of the 21st century. In 2020, we will release the following:
- California Postsecondary to Prosperity Index — a dynamic, user-friendly data visualization tool for regional and state analyses of the education-to-employment pipeline.
- California Higher Education Frequently Asked Questions — a reliable source of information on common questions about California higher education and the economy.
Download our 2020 Policy Priorities.